Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mother Nature is so sweet ...


she patiently waited until I finished Indigo Ripples before sending along the perfect weather to wear it in.


Yarn: Reynolds Soft Linen
50 gr = 94 yds (86m) - not quite 7 skeins
53% flax, 47% acylic (easy to care for)
Color: 0404 (a golden color with just a hint of Chartreuse)
Needles: Addi Turbo Size 5, 24" circular

This was a pleasure to knit, thanks in part to all who contribute to this blog. Your input urged me to knit this and your sugessted changes guided me down my own path of perfection. So, without further adieu, the following are the modifications I made - I think you'll recognize most of them ; )



Needle size - suggested needle (size 6) gave me stitches that were not quite tight enough, so I took it down a size. The guage wasn't perfect, but it was close enough. The Stockinette Portion of this skirt is about 15". The length the pattern suggested was too racey for the polished Boston IP firm that greatly contributes to the support of my fiber addiction. The Lace Section is worked using only the first 40 rows, which perfectly complimented the length of stockinette and allows the hem to just flirt with bottom of my knee. Also in the lace section, as so many have suggested, I used the sssk instead of sl 1, k2tog, psso. In the Ruffle Section ... I substituted knit rounds (rows 1 and 11) instead of purl rounds. Finally, I elected to do a traditional bind off, as the release date of Harry Potter loomed close by.

5 comments:

two sticks and yarn said...

Your skirt looks so great. I also live in Boston and I could not possibly wear the shorter version to school (I'm the teacher) as I would probably get fired. I am at 14 inches in stockinette and going to follow your changes. I can't wait to finish mine. Excellent job!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your skirt looks fabulous!
One question, can you explain how exactly to do the sssk modification?

Thanks.

Laura said...

Hey there! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THE COLOR! It looks great!! To be honest with you, I think most will increase the stockinette portion!

and For the person who asked about sssk-- I had the SAME question so I went to knittinghelp.com and this is what they said slip, slip, slip, knit 3 slipped stitches together. Go to this site, look for sssk, and you can see the video :-) http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/abbreviations_explained/

Michelle said...

Your skirt looks great. I love the color! You'll love wearing it. I've been wearing my skirt to work frequently (I think everyone but me is getting sick of it!). I'm so happy to have something I knitted that I actually wear!

kat coyle said...

I love the color of your skirt too. You can really see the details.