Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ecru Ripples?

I was so happy to find this blog! I've never joined a knit-along before, but the timing was perfect for this one. I started my off-white version of indigo ripples a few weeks ago and I'm almost done. I'm using some of Eunny Jang's modifications, using Rowan Denim in ecru and a tighter gauge, with an even longer stockinette panel and less lace. I'm getting a little nervous about the shrinkage factor though. If the skirt shrinks 5-10% in width I'll be fine, but more than 10% in length may be too much. I'm trying to decide tonight whether to undo the beginning of the ruffle and add another lace section. I think I have exactly enough yarn for that (but not enough yarn -- or patience -- to knit and wash a big swatch!).



3 comments:

Dotty said...

Your skirt looks great. A comment on shrinkage. In my experience, cotton knitwear only shrinks lengthwise. It never shrinks widthwise. I don't know why but that's what's happened every single time I knit with 100% cotton.

Michelle said...

Thank you Dotty. I think you're right about not shrinking widthwise. I found just one (I think) mention of Rowan Denim shrinking slightly in width, but in my obsessive research (I could have just swatched in the time I've taking looking for other people's experiences) I found this definitive comparison of denim yarn shrinkage:

http://craftywench.typepad.com/knittingwench/denim_yarns/index.html

Elizabeth said...

Very nice! I can't wait to see it when it's finished. :D