Friday, May 4, 2007

Hi & introduction


Hi, I'm new to the KAL. I am knitting the skirt for my BF and I can't talk about it on my own blog so this is a great place for me to write about it. I am using a fingering weight yarn called allhemp3 - 100% hemp in the colour deep sea. I cast on the largest size with 2.75mm needles (one size smaller than the recommended needle size because I want a non-see-through fabric) so the finished size is actually the same as the smallest size in the pattern. I am still working on the stockinette part of the skirt and I've got about 9.5" done. There are a few other mods that I'll be making - instead of increasing stitches in the lace section, I am going to go up in needle size for each increase. This will increase the drape of the skirt. Here is a pic of the stockinette:

The hemp is a pain to work with - it has no stretch so doing the M1L and M1R increases are pretty tricky even with pointy needles. There are also little bits of vm that I'm picking out the yarn. But after it's been washed and dried - it feels like butter so it's worth the grief.

3 comments:

Teri said...

Thanks for joining and sharing your progress! Can't wait to see the finished skirt!

Michelle said...

Wow, you have great patience to knit this skirt with such small needles. It looks like it'll be beautiful. I've never knitted with hemp but it's on my list of things to knit.

Virtuous said...

Would love to see how far you have gotten on the skirt now! Or the F.O.! :o)